Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Impermanance In Everything

I was on the bus earlier today coming back from what I reckon to be a hard days work. As I sat there trying to forget how much of a rotten day I'd been having, this sweet little voice caught my attention with its words.

I casually turned to look back so to get a glimpse and see where those words were coming from. As I turned and attempted to get a good look, I saw that this angelic voice was that of a little girl's of about 5 or 6 years old. Still too short to see above the seat in front of them, I can see she was talking to what seemed like a younger sibling. So I turned back around and tuned in.
Through the hum of the crowed bus I heard this little girls voice resonate absolute truth, and she said ever so calmly; "...you see...everything dies."

I noticed whilst passing everyday things she continued on pointing them out, foretelling their life and death cycle. We are driving by pedestrians in a nearby park and she says; "People die...You see the trees over there? They die. The Grass dies, too...Birds die." I look up to see a seagull flying above, and as I look back down we're passing by a car dealership and she says; "Even cars die you know."

Her soft spoken words hit my ear drums and I felt it shatter my thoughts into a million pieces. I just felt compelled to write about how these pieces still resonate so profoundly in me.

Here I'm sat thinking I'm having a bad day and I'm not sure exactly why but I felt assuaged by the thought of how this child saw profundity in everyday simplicities, and she didn't even know it. I understand that she may not relate the exact emotional tie that one would have when a significant other passes, but to her it was nothing but a mundane idea that everything is impermanent.

I reckon everyone can take something different from this story. I believe it's up to each of us to take with us the beauty in what once was, and I realize that
today doesn't seem to be that bad after all. Most importantly, everything is Impermanent.

No comments: